Sunday, December 1, 2013

Marathons and Ultramarathons…Am I Ready?

Within the next couple of months I will attempt something I NEVER thought I would ever do…or WANT to do…run another marathon and run a 50K ultra marathon. The 26.2 mile marathon is a road race on December 15 and the 50K (31 mile) ultra marathon will be a trail race in one of the toughest trails in Texas in Bandera, Texas. Actually, now that I think of it, these races are within a month of each other.

The big question is…will I be able to do this? I am really hoping that the weather for this marathon will be much better than the Fiesta back in October. The Valley is notorious for having a few of those weird 90+ degree days in December. I just pray it's not on December 15. Then I need to recover quickly and continue to train for the ultra on January 11.

It will be kinda strange to get a new group of students on January 8th for the new semester and on the third day of class need to be absent to travel to Bandera. Imagine their bewilderment when I tell them that I will be running a 50K trail race that Saturday. They'll probably think I'm weird…or crazy (probably both).

I gotta tell you that after this ultra, assuming that I finish, that I will probably tone down all this racing..at least until a few weeks before March for Nueces trail run. I want revenge on that tough little 25K course from last year's painful attempt at my first trail race. Then I may rest from it all for a month or so.

I am glad that I finally was able to break the cycle of weight gain during a Thanksgiving break. Due to the closeness of the marathon, I paid attention to portion control and kept training. I ran around 65 miles this week and lost just under 6 pounds.

Today is December 1…and a start of another month of serious training. Interesting to say that I am using a marathon as a training run for an ultra. That's insane. but I guess that's just the way it is for a runner. See you out on the road or trail!

1 comment:

  1. You are weird and crazy. That's why you are a trail runner. And that's why you'll inspire those young students of yours to dream big because what seems impossible is achievable. I know you'll do great. Here's to another year of running strong! - Marcos "The Natural"

    ReplyDelete